What started as a meager family settlement in Connecticut is now a full-fledged city located an odd 30-40 miles north of New York. This place is full of natural, peaceful lakes and its beauty is such that it would calm a raging spirit. The whole county is dotted with water bodies, so this is the perfect spot for on-foot exploration.
Places to visit:
- Candlewood Lake: A man-made lake. The blue water here scares the heck out of people with a fear of the deep. It stretches to a breath-takin 18 km in length and a depth of 30 meters.
- Squantz Pond State Park: Not the type of ponds that has frogs hopping about, this awesome place is absolutely like a miniature beach!
- Collis P. Huntington State Park: The city’s largest park. One can go for a hike in its vast area filled with green or simply stretch out for a small picnic.
- Danbury Railway Museum: A history/techno buff? Then this is the place for you, with ancient train models from steam rollers to trams, this place has it all. It also has a massive collection of model trains.
- Putnam Memorial State Park: A memorial area with museums, a park and many other attractions. One has to definitely visit this place to get in tune with the place’s past.
- Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Center: This place tells the story of the Irish folks who moved to the city and their influences that still prevails today.
Places to stay:
- Crowne Plaza Danbury: Loaded with a grill-dining option and a bar, this place also provides a pool and a fitness center.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Danbury: Accessible from the I-84, this home away from home provides rooms with amenities like a minifridge, coffeemakers and such. Guests have the option of having a whirlpool add-on and a private dining area in their suite.
- Hotel Zero Degrees Danbury: This country-modern styled hotel is 8km miles from the Military Museum. They provide complimentary parking, a local shuttle and breakfast.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites: A 10-minute drive from the university and the Danbury Fair, this hotel provides a seasonal pool and has hot tubs.